Health & Safety
Health & Safety @ Workplace
The establishment of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in 1970 reflected the recognition that safety in the workplace is a basic expectation for all employees. Originally addressing concerns in industry and hazards associated with mechanical injury, today, the field of occupational health and safety has expanded to almost every workplace environment.
Integrated Quality, Safety, Health & Environment Policy
The Management of THONG GUAN have established this Integrated Quality, Safety, Health & Environmental (QSHE) Policy to be consistent to the purpose and context of our organization. THONG GUAN, a manufacturer of printed and non-printed stretch films, plastic bags and sheets, shall be committed to comply with the legal and other requirements that the company subscribes and to continual improvement pertaining to quality, safety, health and environmental through:
- Training – create awareness on quality, safety, health and environment
- Protect and Green the Environment.
- Prevent pollution, injury and ill health.
- Programs for improvement on safety, health and environmental.
- Improvement on Quality, exceeding customer’s requirements towards Trust and Established Partnership
This policy shall provide a framework for establishing and reviewing the objectives. THONG GUAN shall be responsible to ensure the policy is communicated to all employees, vendors and available to the public and interested parties upon request.
TG’s OHS Management System
The purpose of Thong Guan’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) management is to promote a comfortable and safe workplace based on the most advanced practices. Its aim is to contribute to the welfare of the Group’s employees and the development of Thong Guan’s business. In addition, the Group has established in its regulations that it will give careful consideration to the health and safety of the employees and sub-contractors who work full-time in Thong Guan premises.
To maintain our occupational health, safety efforts, and to continuously improve them. Thong Guan has introduced an occupational health and safety management system its manufacturing sites. At various TG business sites, ISO certifications related to OSH are mandatory.
As of the end of the 2021, certification obtained by TG companies include-
- QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (QMS) – ISO 9001:2015
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (EMS) – ISO 14001:2015
- OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH SYSTEM MANAGEMENT (OSH) – ISO 45001:2018
- ISTA CERTIFIED TESTING LABORATORY (International Safe Transit Association)
- EUMOS MEMBERSHIP (European Safe Logistics Association)
Implementation of our OHS management system is our important routine at our workplace. Actions include-
- Conduct at least once a year regular risk assessments of sites elements including mechanical equipment and harmful substances, this process aims to identify potential risks of workplace accidents or illnesses and to ensure to reduce these risks, according to their level of severity.
- When a workplace accident happens, Corrective actions and post mortem information is share through its corporate intranet. Experience sharing and actions plan can prevent recurrence of such accidents at other business sites.
- All business sites in Malaysia have a Health and Safety Committees, composed of employees and managers. The purpose of these Committees is to ensure continuous improvement on the OHS. This includes implementation of hazard prevention measures, investigation of root causes of occupational accidents, prevention measures for employees’ health issues as well as employee health maintenance and promotion measures.
- Thong Guan has established Occupational Health and Safety Councils with its contractors in order to prevent occupational accidents caused by contractors’ employees operating on our premises. These Councils serve to maintain open lines of communication among workers and to comprehensively manage health and safety issues.
- At our Headquarters, we have built a system for managing the status of occupational accidents arising at all TG subsidiary companies. Should a major occupational accident occur, this system allows reporting it within 24 hours, in addition to full year- round monitoring and sharing of case studies with all Group companies.
- At business sites where occupational accidents have occurred, Thong Guan investigates the root causes behind incidents and implements measures at all business sites to prevent the recurrence of similar accidents.
- Our Health and safety officer and his team also participate in an annual Employee Personal Health and Occupational Health and Safety Forum and attend relevant seminars. Through learning to increase their knowledge and to put it into practice at each business site.
Fact & Findings
- TG’s yearly work plan related to OHS management system
Risk Assessment Matrix table
- Workplace Industrial Accidents Record